26 July, 2009

House of Wisdom

It's been interesting so far doing research for my thesis topic. Of course, all the research is still preliminary. It seems there was something even more significant that helped bring about intellectual changes during the 'Abbasid Caliphate: the introduction of paper. I have read a few articles now and browsed even more and they all mention some aspect of paper being introduced as setting the translation movement in motion. The led to the creation of the Bayt al-Hikma(h). I am curious as to whether this is just coincidence or if one really did affect the other?

With the translation of texts into Arabic and the "discovery" of Islamic medicine, algebra, and others, it's no wonder the intellectual changes were so great. I also read that the Arabs introduced paper to Europe by way of Spain and Sicily. I wonder how much truth there is to that? Another area of my thesis to research, I guess.

No comments: