12 January, 2010

Arab Scientists


Well, after some more in-depth research, I have come up with a list of "scientists" (including mathematicians, astronomers, and physicians) that I would like to focus on for my Chapter 3 of my thesis. They are:

  • Mohammad al-Khwarizmi
  • Yaqub ibn Ishaq al-Kindi
  • Thabit ibn Qurra al-Harrani
  • Muhammad ibn Jabir al-Battani
  • Muhammad ibn al-Hasan Nasir al-Din al-Tusi
  • Ali ibn Rabban al-Tabari
  • Abu Bakr Muhammad ibn Zakariya al-Razi
  • Abu al-Nasr al-Farabi
  • Jabir ibn Hayyan
  • Abu Ali Hasan ibn al-Haitham
  • Abu Marwan abd al-Malik ibn Zuhr (born in Seville)

Out of these, I am finding Abu Marwan ibn Zuhr to be the only scientist never to have visited Baghdad or associated with the House of Wisdom. However, he made some discoveries and wrote some treatises that are relevant to my study.

No comments: